I'm not really one for Valentine's Day because I think it's cheesy AF. Then again, every year Geoff seems to surprise me with some adorable gesture that leaves me misty eyed. Just imagine my meat-eating husband taking the time to create a home cooked vegan meal and even going as far as to bake a vegan dessert just to say "I love you". I know. He's a keeper right?
This year it's my turn to return the favour. On the menu will be beef, organic and ethically raised of course, served with veggies and his favourite Yorkshire Pudding, all cooked by moi. For dessert I'll bake some vegan chocolate cake, topped with ganache and a cup of Selection Vintage 2014 from Nespresso. If you read last month's Vintage Coffee post I confessed to hiding the Vintage capsules from Geoff because, hey, I'm majorly obsessed with them and they're limited edition and yes, I'm a little bit of a jerk too for keeping these from my lovely husband but oh well.
Best of all vegan chocolate cake & Nespresso isn't exclusive to significant others and romantic meals and can be shared with any of your loved ones at any time of the year! AND, yes, you can whip these cakes up quickly because the recipe is super easy! I personally love chocolate cake and coffee together and will find any excuse to eat it, Valentine's Day or not. NOM.
The tea towel featured in this post was designed and made by me. Before WoahStyle I used design my own patterns and screen print fabrics. Then I'd sew the fabrics into kitchen linens and aprons and I'd upload them for sale on etsy and a few stores in Toronto. You can creep on my former DIY life here. LOL
RECIPE: VEGAN MEXICAN CHOCOLATE CAKE
MAKES 12 MINI CAKES or TWO 9" CAKE
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ancho chile powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup soy or almond milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup safflower oil
- 1/4 cup raw cane sugar
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup soy or almond milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup vegan semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray your baking pans with cooking oil and set aside. If making cupcakes, line the cupcake pan with papers. (I used a mini bundt pan.)
- In a large bowl combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon, ancho chilli powder and baking soda and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the non-dairy milk, maple syrup, safflower oil, sugar and apple cider vinegar and mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Divide the batter between the prepared pans and bake for 35 mins If making cupcakes, bake for 30 mins. TIP: Always rotate pans halfway for even baking.
- Cool in pans on wire rack.
- Make the ganache by gently heating the non-dairy milk in a sauce pan on medium heat but don't boil. Add the maple syrup and chocolate chips and whisk until smooth. Set aside until thick and then add to the top of cooled cakes.
- Enjoy with a cup of Nespresso's very limited Selection Vintage 2014. Bon apetit.
Nespresso Selection Vintage 2014 is a complex taste with elegant woodiness and soft fruity notes.
The vintage Nespresso Capsules limited edition and can be purchased at Nespresso stores and nespresso.com.
Photography by Nathalie Martin.
This post is sponsored by Nespresso. All opinions are my own.
Founded by Nathalie Martin in 2014, WoahStyle offers compelling content and thoughtful features which are designed to bring you the latest from the world of beauty, fashion and travel.