Smashbox Be Legendary lip glosses: Review + Swatches
In my line of work I see a lot of PR packages but it's not often that I get excited about the PR box itself. This stunning one here is from Smashbox and features lip art by @vladamua, aka, the woman who created the image of gloss dripping from the lips.
Let's talk about what's in said box - 17 shades of Smashbox's new Be Legendary lip glosses, available in two finishes - metal and pigments. The shades range from cool to warms, and neutrals to metallic blues and even shimmery greys. They retail for $28 ($24 in USD), and can be found at most counters that carry the Smashbox brand.
The formula is thick and highly pigmented but doesn't feel uncomfortable and sticky on the lips. I should elaborate because yes, it's a sticky gloss, but it's not overly sticky and apparent once on the lips and almost feels hydrating. The glosses have a very faint fragrance to them but it's non-offensive and hardly noticeable.
One swipe of gloss gives off perfect colour payoff, even on the blue colour, which I was really impressed with.
As always, I'd recommend using a lip liner with these to prevent the gloss from bleeding and to help it last longer as well.
The Be Legendary glosses aren't an overtly high shine vinyl finish, but that's fine by me because it means the formula is perfect for every day wear - a nude mid-toned pink like Mauve Wife is great for the office, while Bad Apple, a bright red shade, is perfect for a night out.
Overall, these glosses are fab and just what I expect from Smashbox. I just hope they expand their colour range because right now I find the shades almost too similar too each other. I personally would have wanted to see more colour range from their new line of glosses and considering they put out 17 colours, there should have definitely been more versatility in terms of colours. But that's it, that's my only complaint with these.
Go check them out if you're at a Smashbox counter and let me know what you think!
SPRING TREND ALERT: Gloss is everywhere, from fashion to beauty, eyes, lips and even hair. Put your mattes away because Spring/ Summer 2017 is all about natural skin with a sheer flush of colour to the cheeks and a vibrant glossy lip.
SMASHBOX BE LEGENDARY LIQUID PIGMENTS, $28
Pink Drank - midtone pink pigment
Rose B4 Bros - cool blue/pink pigment
Bad B - light cool pink pigment
Mauve Wife - cool mauve pink pigment
Girl, Please - pink/brown pigment
Brick Trick - deep red/ brown pigment
Crush It - deep magenta pigment
Bad Apple - warm red pigment
SMASHBOX BE LEGENDARY LIQUID METALS, $28
Petal Metal - metallic rose gold
Mauve Squad - metallic mauve
Haterade - metallic orange
Moscow Muled - metallic copper
Crimson Chrome - metallic true red
Brains ’N’ Bronze - metallic bronze
Foiled Brat - metallic burgundy
Iced Out - metallic royal blue
Space Case - metallic grey
PIGMENTS LIP SWATCHES (left hand column)
- BAD APPLE Be Legendary Liquid Pigment lip gloss paired with Make Up For Ever lip liner in No. 41
- BRICK TRICK Be Legendary Liquid Pigment lip gloss paired with Make Up For Ever lip liner in No. 42
- GIRL PLEASE Be Legendary Liquid Pigment lip gloss paired with NYX lip liner in Nutmeg #811
- BAD B Be Legendary Liquid Pigment lip gloss paired with Bite Beauty The Lip Pencil in No. 010
METALS LIP SWATCHES (right hand column)
- MAUVE SQUAD Be Legendary Liquid Metal lip gloss paired with Bite Beauty The Lip Pencil in No. 010
- ICED OUT Be Legendary Liquid Metal lip gloss paired with Make Up For Ever Aqua XL eye pencil in No. M-22 as lip liner
- MOSCOW MULED Be Legendary Liquid Metal lip gloss paired with NYX lip liner in Nutmeg #811
- FOILED BRAT Be Legendary Liquid Metal lip gloss paired with Kat Von D Everlasting lip liner in L.U.V.
MAKEUP REMOVAL TIP: Use an oil based remover to get these lip glosses off because the staying power is unreal!
Photography by Nathalie Martin.
In collaboration with Smashbox Canada.
All opinions are my own.